Bring girlfriend to UK. What's needed?

  • Hi...

    Can someone help me with what type visa to apply and help in the right direction?

    I am a British citizen living in Costa Rica. I have been with my Costa Rican girlfriend for 18 months. Living together for 16 months. We are planning to move and live in the UK. I'm still not sure the best way to do this or what type of visa for her to apply for.

    I have £64,000 in a bank account to cover the financial side. I would not be able to get a job for £18k Until we was living in the uk. Maybe I will work self employed.

    She speaks some English but not sure if it's enough or if she needs it.

    I was planning to wait until we have been together for 2 years before applying. I didn't want to get married as I have not long been divorced.

    Any help or direction would be much appreciated.


  • Immigration Adviser

    Hi @rudedog,

    You can apply for an unmarried partner visa for your girlfriend to return to the UK with you as you have outlined. As she will have to apply from outside of the UK, she will need to complete an online application form and attend a Visa Application Centre to provide her biometrics and supporting documents. You are correct that you must have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least 2 years if you are applying as unmarried partners rather than on the basis of marriage. You will need to submit substantial evidence of to prove this. You are also correct that the financial requirement (gross annual income of £18,600) can be satisfied by showing at least £62,500 in your own savings held for at least 6 months at the date of application. English language ability must be demonstrated by passing an approved English language test level A1 or above in speaking and listening or a degree taught in English.

    You may find the following guidance helpful in understanding the requirements of this visa:

  • Hi, can I apply for a visa for my girlfriend in the uk on the 6 months tourist visa? I would apply for a partner of a settle person and would apply as soon as she arrived.

    What type of evidence is required for the proof of living together for two years? We have photos and a letter from the landlady we rented the apartment from. But not sure this is enough.



Log in to reply