Do Bulgarians Need A Working Visa In The UK?

  • Hello there
    I have a friend from Bulgaria currently in the UK who has applied and been issued with a National Insurance Number. He wants to work in construction, can anybody tell me how he can now work? Does he need to apply for a work visa? If so how long would it last and where should he apply?
    Thank you.


  • Yes, he need to apply for Tier 5 worker visa. There are many categories under work visa. The validity time period Depending upon the types of skill or work he want . General visa is maximum for 12 months. Contact with home office border or immigration agency if you want to apply.

  • Immigration Adviser

    Dear Ruby,

    Please accept my apologies for the delayed response. Your friends is not required to obtain a visa in order to remain or work in the UK, however, he can apply for a Registration Certificate which can make entering and leaving the UK easier for him.

    In order to apply for this certificate your friend must be deemed a qualified person. This means if he has been in the UK for more than 3 months he must be a worker, self-employed, a job seeker, a student or self-sufficient.

    As mentioned there is currently no requirement for your friend to obtain this visa and if he does so they are usually granted for 5 years at which time he could apply for permanent residence in the UK.

    Please be aware of the changes that are in discussion in regards to BREXIT. The current free movement will end once BREXIT has taken place and all EU nationals living in the UK will be required to obtain an immigration status under new UK legislation. What this process will be and how this will work is still under speculation.

    The government have confirmed that there will be a grace period of 2 years allowing current EU citizens to complete 5 years residency in the UK in order to become permanently resident, however, these dates have not yet been confirmed. You can access our BREXIT update page below:

    If you need any further advise please do not hesitate to contact us.

    Kind Regards,

Log in to reply