Taiwan Spouse - how to apply for Visa

• Hello all,

My wife is Taiwanese, we were recently married in Hong Kong and now we want to live in the UK together. The process is quite complex and difficult, has anyone been through this experience? Taiwanese Wife, UK national married and getting a visa for the UK?

I am currently in the UK and my wife is in Taiwan.
    We got married on the 25th May 2016 after 7 years of a relationship
    We got married in Hong Kong but don’t/haven’t lived there.

Here is some more background info -

Me -
    New employment since June 15th 2016 in the UK
    Salary is above £18,600
    In my accounts I have over £17,000
    I receive basic Disability Living Allowance (lowest rate)
    I live at home with my parents but I am planning on renting when my wife arrives in the UK

My wife -
    Wife studied in Edinburgh University for a Masters Degree
    Wife is Taiwanese, residence is in Taiwan and she is there now
    Wife has approximately £4,800 in her accounts but also have some stock ownership - does that count?

Has anyone else been in this position, applying for a visa for a Taiwanese - could you share your experiences?

• Hi, I've friend who's Taiwanese too if you want to get in touch?

• Immigration Adviser

@cancan89 thanks for the offer of sharing your experience with @PaulUKTW

Paul, if you receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) then you don't need to meet the £18,600 - you simply need to show adequate maintenance. See page 15 onwards of the Home Office guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636618/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf

You could however simply rely on Category A as your earnings are over the specified amount.

Hopefully by now you have obtained the visa, but if you still need help with the application please do post again.