Advice for Family life as a partner (10-year route) visa

  • I'm finding it difficult to find information about this route but finding it difficult. My partner and I are planning to book in to see a solicitor before the end of the month but thought it might be a good idea to see if we could get any help on here first.

    My partner and I are considering applying for the 'Family life as a partner (10-year route)' visa. I am a British national, and he is a Chinese national. We both recently graduated from studying and I am still seeking graduate work. As a result, I don’t think I would be able to sponsor him via the 5-year route for 6-12 months depending on when and what kind of work I find. I was wondering if you would be able to advise us on the requirements for this route as the Home Office's website only states: "there are serious reasons you and your partner can’t live together as a couple in another country".

    We have not yet married but are considering doing so before my partner's student visa's validity expires at the end of January. We are a same-sex couple, so the basis of the application is that gay marriage isn't recognised in China and as a result, I would not be able to apply for a family visa in China to live in China with him. Additionally, I am unable to obtain a legal work visa in China either, as I already attempted this and could not progress as work experience of 2 years in a relevant industry outside of China is required to obtain this visa. Furthermore, it would be incredibly difficult for us both to find and obtain work visa's in countries outside of the UK.

    I'm not sure if this reasoning would meet the Home Office's requirement? Does anybody have any similar experiences?

    Thank you for your time and help in advance.

Log in to reply