Sole Representative of an overseas company Visa

  • Guys
    we are a company located in Egypt and want to establish our first branch in the UK using the sole representative visa approach as a route to our business to the UK.
    The activities of the mother company in Egypt include generally trading of the following items as regulated by law and specially the office supplies:

    1. General Trading
    2. General Supplies
    3. Commercial Agency
    4. Importing and Exporting

    Our plan is to establish a branch, subsidiary or a wholly owned company; dependent on your advice; in the UK to trade in all activities mentioned in points 1, 2, 3 and 4 above, special consideration will be given to office/school supplies and stationery including supplying offices, companies and schools with their needs related to our business, in addition to retail stores that would trade in the office and school supplies, gifts, toys, electronics, computer consumables, mobile accessories, books, etc. We have a plan to import supplies from Egypt to UK specially textiles related to the school coats and other stationery as we are experienced in that field in Egypt, in addition to exporting from oversea companies in China as targeted in our business in both Egypt and UK.

    We understood the following:

    1. The sole representative that will be assigned form the company to establish the UK branch should hold no more than 10% of the company as a shareholder.
    2. The mother company should have around 70K to 80K GPB in their account to prove that they are able to establish the first branch in UK in the first year.

    Please confirm that:

    1. I can apply to be a sole representative to establish the first company branch of the overseas company
    2. The company is trading in office and school supplies and stationery.
    3. The company branch in UK can trade in the same business as the mother company
    4. the company branch in the UK can open retail stores in UK
    5. The company branch in the UK can start without having clients already located in the UK

  • Immigration Adviser

    Dear Mohamed,

    Please accept my apologies for the delayed response. In order to be eligible to apply for a Sole Representative visa you must meet the criteria outlined by the Home Office. You must be either an overseas media employee employed by an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation and posted by your employer on a long-term assignment in the UK or the sole representative in the UK of an overseas employer who intends to establish and operate a registered branch or wholly-owned subsidiary in the UK and you have been recruited outside of the UK.

    You must also intend to work full-time and only as a representative of the overseas business. Your employer’s headquarters and principal place of business must be outside of the UK and have no other branches, subsidiary or representative within the UK already existing unless you are working for an overseas media company. You must also be able to evidence that you can support yourself and any dependants in the UK during your time in the UK. It also states that you must hold a senior position within the company but not be a major shareholder.

    You are correct in your understanding of not holding more than 50% shares of the existing business, however, there is no requirement to hold a certain level of funds in the Mother Companies business account.

    Provided that you meet the above requirements then you could apply for a Sole Representative visa. The branch that you establish in the UK must be the same type of business as the parent company and it is fine that you would not have any existing clients within the UK provided that you have the intention to establish a further branch. Once in the UK you must establish the branch of the business.

    If you have any further questions or assistance with this application please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

    Kind Regards,

Log in to reply