Switching from Tier2 to Tier4 Student Visa

  • Hi friends,

    Good Morning!

    Could you please help me. Right now I am in Tier 2 work permit visa. My visa is expiring next month April 2017.I can't able to extend my current visa due to sponsor licence cancelled.

    Could you please let me know.

    Whether I can switch from Tier2 to Tier4 student visa?

    I already done MBA(Travel,Tourism & Hospitality Management) in Kensington College of Business(Wales University - 2010).

    Then I switch to PSW visa - 2012.

    In April 2014 I switch it to Tier 2 (Current visa).

    If i switch to tier4 student visa. 20 hours Working is allowed for main applicant?

    Can Dependant visa holder work or not?

    I already done MBA. Can I do same MBA course different subject or I need to do above level?

    Maintenance funds - How much amount and how long I need to maintain for main applicant and dependant?

    I need to pay university fees fully or instalment?

    I am married, my wife is in dependant visa. Shall I apply Tier 4 student visa for her(inside the uk)?

    Could you please suggest me good university with low fees and courses.

    which month do you have next intake.?

    How much amount I need to maintain in the bank? Note: I am married. My wife is staying with me. I need to apply for dependant visa also.

    Please I am waiting for your reply.


  • Immigration Adviser

    Hi @Prk

    You are able to switch from a Tier 2 (General) visa into the Tier 4 category from within the UK.

    However, it is worth noting that you can only spend a maximum of 5 years studying in the UK on a tier 4 visa. You must also be able to show academic progression, meaning that during your last grant of leave you obtained a master’s in business administration, your next course must be at PhD level. Although, exceptional consideration may be given to someone who wishes to study at the same level if the course supports their career aspirations.

    On a Tier 4 visa you are only permitted to work for 20 hours per week.

    Your dependents are permitted to work as long as the main applicant has leave for at least 12 months and is studying at degree level.

    In regards to finances, you must first be able to show that you have enough funds to pay for the first year of your course. You will also need to show enough funds to cover 9 months living costs. This rate is set at £1015 for any areas outside of London and £1265 per month within London. You will also have to show another 9 months living costs at £845 per month within London and £680 per dependent from areas outside of London. This money must have been held for at least 28 days.

    Unfortunately I would not be able to advise you on which University to choose.

    Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Log in to reply