Spouse Visa: Proving Sole responsibility of Child

  • I am a British citizen. My wife (Noemi) is Filipino and we have a small baby, my wife also has a daughter (Dian) from before, we are trying to get Spouse visa to UK and bring Dian as a dependent to UK as well – but one issue is bothering us.
    Dian is an illegitimate child from a former relationship with a Filipino man, at the time the father lied about his married status. He never spent much time with Noemi or Dian (obviously with his other family and he worked abroad) gave little or no support and a lot of bad mouth to both trying to cover his lies.
    What do we need to do to prove to immigration that my wife has sole responsibility for Dian?
    I believe it is Philippine law that she does have sole custody – but are there any caveats we need to mitigate?
    Has anyone had similar experience or knowledge?
    Thanks, in advance

  • Immigration Adviser

    Good morning @10Pints

    Your wife, Noemi, can provide evidence that she has full involvement in Dian’s life and maintains full parental responsibility for her. Further to this, she may also have or wish to obtain a court order that shows that she has sole custody of Dian.

    It is also worth noting that the financial requirement rises when non-British children are involved.

    The financial requirements are as follows:

    • Partner with no children – £18,600.
    • 1 child in addition to the partner – £22,400.
    • 2 children in addition to the partner – £24,800.

    This does not apply to children who are British citizens.

    If you would like assistance with making this application please don't hesitate to contact us at visr@whiterosevisas.co.uk

Log in to reply