ILR on Tier 2 and Tier 1 visa

• Hi!
    I was on a Tier 1 (General) visa from March 2011 to Feb 2013 then switched to Tier 2 visa since. I've been in employment in the UK since August 2012. I was originally planning on applying for ILR in March 2016 but got told it would be a bit dodgy as I didn't work for the first year and a half I was on my Tier 1.
    Now, I get contradicting advice on the 5 years residency - can anyone confirm I can use the combine time on my Tier 1 and Tier 2 visa?
    Also, my current visa expires in September but I'm planning on applying in July of this year, should this pose a problem for the applciation? Thanks!

• Immigration Adviser

Dear @Elyse-Baril-Guérard

I can confirm that you are able to combine time spent on a Tier 1 (General) visa with time spent on a Tier 2 (General) visa.

As long as you maintained your residence in the UK whilst you were on your Tier 1 (General) visa and unemployed then this should not affect your application for ILR.

From the dates you have provided you should have been eligible to make an application for ILR anytime from March 2016. This being the case, there is no problem with you applying in July 2017.

If you would like our assistance with your application please do contact us on the email address below.