PR application from overseas

  • Hello

    I wanted to get some information regarding UK PR

    I am a latvian citizen and have been in the UK for about 7 years.
    2010 - 2013 as a student
    2014-2017 on full time employment

    I have recently been transferred by the same company to UAE (May 2017)

    I wanted to find out how can I make the UK PR application from here ? And if possible without having to give my passport for the entire duration?


  • Immigration Adviser

    Dear AA,

    Many thanks for your enquiry to White Rose Visas.

    You can apply for permanent residency as long as you have lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years and you must have been a “qualified person” in this time. As you spent this time as a student and then in full time employment, you do satisfy this requirement.

    You will not be able to apply for permanent residency from outside of the UK as you have to be present and permanently resident in the UK to make this application. Please be aware that permanent residence is lost if you have been outside of the UK for 2 continuous years. In short, any permanent residence status that you have gained before you went to the UAE will be lost if you spent more than 2 years outside the UK.

    You will therefore have to return to the UK to apply for PR. You do not need to submit your passport, you can submit your national ID card instead if you have one. This will then allow you to travel outside of the UK while your application is under consideration.

    The current processing time for this is 6 months. For more information, please see the following guidance:


    Kind regards,

Log in to reply