What can I apply for...

• I was born here in UK in 1991, and lived here all my life. I’ve not got any passport, I’ve got only British birth certificate. I can’t apply for Registration because I’m an adult, secondly, my parents were not British when I was born, they were Nigerian so I can’t get a British passport through them, so what citizenship documents can I apply for? And a solicitor said that i can’t apply for Naturalisation without having ILR for at least 12 months. If this ILR thing is all wrong at the first place, what can I apply for?

• Immigration Adviser

Dear @tomi012

I note that you say your parents were not British when you were born. Are either or both of your parents British now?

• @jason Yes. They’re British now, but the Solicitor and the immigration laws are not looking at that. What is holding me from getting a British passport straight is that they wasn’t British when I was born. The using my father’s passport number idea to apply for a passport didn’t work a few years ago I did that. My parents wasn’t British when I was born so I have to apply for citizenship documents .

• Immigration Adviser

Dear @tomi012

Yes, that is correct - as you parents were not British citizens or settled when you were born you would not be eligible to apply for a British passport straight away.

As this is a complex situation it would be better if you contacted us directly so that we can discuss this in more detail.

Please email us at info@whiterosevisas.co.uk