Spouse Visa - Accommodation in the UK related concern

  • Hello to all of you helpful UK Immigration advisers!

    I am doing more research about the requirements for Spouse visa application. One of the requirements is that the British spouse should have his/her own place regardless if it's only rented on a monthly basis. My question is, is there a minimum or particular tenancy period that the British spouse should have before being qualified and be of help to the spouse visa applicant? Thing is, my British husband is just about to move into a new place next month (January) and it just makes me wonder whether he needs to accumulate a specific tenancy period before I could start applying for the visa.

    I would highly appreciate any helpful response from everyone. Thank you very much :)


  • Immigration Adviser

    Hi @Nadine-Mejia-George ,

    Your husband does not need to show that he has been living at the address for a certain period. He just needs to evidence that he has sufficient accommodation in the UK which is available to yourself also. As long as the accommodation has enough space for you, this will be acceptable. You may also need to show that you have confirmation from the landlord that you are able to live there too.

    Many thanks,

  • Hello @Holly

    Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Oh wow, so does this also mean that it's okay to live with other people in the house as long as there is indeed enough space for the both of us and we won't be overcrowding?

    I am truly grateful for your help!



  • Immigration Adviser

    Hi @Nadine-Mejia-George,

    Thank you for your question.

    It is ok to live with other people also as long as there is no overcrowding.

    The Housing Act 1985 defines overcrowding in residential housing; this is what the Home Office will use in order to establish whether your accommodation in the UK will be sufficient.

    Many thanks,

  • Thank you so much @Holly !!! Things are becoming crystal clear now all because of your advice!

    More power to all of you here :)


  • @holly said in Spouse Visa - Accommodation in the UK related concern:

    The Housing Act 1985

    The room standard part on that link says the following says:

    ***The room standard.

    (1)The room standard is contravened when the number of persons sleeping in a dwelling and the number of rooms available as sleeping accommodation is such that two persons of opposite sexes who are not living together as husband and wife must sleep in the same room.
    (2)For this purpose—
    (a)children under the age of ten shall be left out of account, and
    (b)a room is available as sleeping accommodation if it is of a type normally used in the locality either as a bedroom or as a living room.***

    So...can I just ask....can my 12 yr son and 9 yr daughter sleep in the same room?

    If this would be deemed risky...then can I rent a 2 bedroom + 1 lounge property to cover myself and my wife, and the two children?

  • Immigration Adviser

    @nammer569 you would be OK initially - but once your daughter turns 10 you would need at least 3 rooms which can be used for sleeping. See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/maintenance-and-accommodation-maa/maintenance-and-accommodation-maa--2#maa9-assessing-adequate-accommodation