Dear sir/ madam , I settled here in october2014 and my parents are here on visitor visa. My father is 72 and mother is 67 , I want to apply for them ILR . how can I apply please give advice. Thank you.

• Dear sir/ madam , I settled here in october2014 and my parents are here on visitor visa. My father is 72 and mother is 67 , I want to apply for them ILR . how can I apply please give advice. Thank you.

• Immigration Adviser

Hi @sukhjeet,

Unfortunately your parents would not be able to settle in the UK from a visit visa. In order to be eligible to settle in the UK you must have spent 5 years continuous residency on a 'working' visa or 10 years continuous residency on some other routes.

There are currently two routes available to meet the 5 years residence requirement. One of your parents could find a job in the UK and apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa with their partner as a dependant. In order to be eligible for a Tier 2 visa the applicant must have a confirmed offer of employment with an employer who holds a valid sponsor licence and is willing to issue you with a Certificate of Sponsorship.

They must also have £945 in personal savings for themselves plus an additional £630 for their dependant to prove you can support themselves and this must have been held in their account for at least 90 days prior to the application.

Alternatively, if they are sponsored by an A Rated sponsor it is possible for them to certify your maintenance. They must also prove their knowledge of English is at least CEFR level B1.

There is also a minimum salary requirement attached to each job role, each individual salary is detailed with the SOC codes in Appendix J, please see the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-j-codes-of-practice-for-skilled-work

The other route would be Tier 1 (Entrepreneur). The requirements of the Entrepreneur category are that an applicant must be able to show access to £200k in cash funds, and satisfy the English Language requirement. There is also a maintenance requirement where a certain level of savings must have been maintained for 90 days before making the application. It is mandatory to satisfy the Genuine Entrepreneur test and it is vital therefore to present a well prepared business plan as part of the process, which must be clearly related to the skills and experience of the applicant.

Kind Regards,

• Immigration Adviser

@sukhjeet - the previous category of Elderly Dependant Relative allowed family members such as your Mum and Dad to gain ILR in the UK but this was amended some years ago. There is now a category of Adult Dependant Relative, but this only allows relatives to gain ILR if they can demonstrate that, as a result of age, illness or disability, they require a level of long-term personal care that can only be provided in the UK by their relative here and without recourse to public funds. The most recent statistics we have show that under the old rules around 2300 visas were granted every year whereas now only around 160 are granted. So sadly the options for your parents are likely to be limited to those that @Lauren describes.