What can I apply for in Citizenship documents?
tomi012 last edited by tomi012
- I was born in the UK and never been out of the country.
- I can’t inherit British citizenship from my parents because they wasn't British when I was born, they were Nigerian and they couldn’t afford to apply for registration for me when I was under 18 years old.
- I can’t apply for Naturalisation because I must have an ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) first.
- I can’t apply for registration because I’m over 18.
- I have a British Birth Certificate and that’s the only identity document I have.
- I was born in June 1991. My parents didn't have ILR when I was born, neither of them. They were from Nigeria using a visa.
So what document am I meant to apply for in this situation? I don’t know where to start. Please let me know.
@tomi012 Can you confirm what year you were born in? Did either of your parents have ILR when you were born? And what is your current immigration status now? If you have no claim to Citizenship (dependent on those answers) then you may be able to apply for ILR provided that you have lived in the UK lawfully for at least 10 years.
tomi012 last edited by
@kim I was born in June 1991. My parents didn't have ILR when I was born, neither of them. They were from Nigeria using a visa.
@tomi012 Because you have been in the UK for more than 20 years, you may be able to apply for a visa which would start you on the journey to ILR. Please contact us directly so that we can advise fully - all initial advice is free of charge and there is no obligation.