Tier 2 General - 5 years continuous period calculation

• Sir/Madam,

I hold Tier 2 General visa. My entry clearance issue date is 3rd May 2013 and I came into UK on 2nd June 2013. To apply ILR, based on these dates please could you clarify my queries.

1. Is my 5 year period considered from the date of STAMPING or ENTRY INTO UK ?

My understanding: As per this guideline page 8, I believe 5 year period can be calculated from date of stamping if it it less than 180 days allowable absence. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/675919/Calculating-continuous-leave-v16.0EXT.PDF

1. What is the exact date from which I can apply ILR considering 28 days in advance application ?

My understanding: If considering visa issue date namely 3rd May 2013 as start of 5 year continuous period then I can apply from 3rd Apr 2018.

Please could you validate my understanding in both the queries and suggest appropriate dates

Thanks, Kiru

• Immigration Adviser

Hi @Kiru

The date can be taken from the date your visa was issued on 03/05/13 and the time you spent outside the UK until your entry on 02/06/13 will count as an allowable absence.

Based on this, the earliest date that you will be able to make your application is 05/04/18.

• @jason - Many thanks and much appreciated with your reply.