• I am marrying my fiancée from America in the UK in November. She wishes to stay here after we get married. We are getting very very confused with the visa process and want to know: What visa?
    How long does it take?
    What do we need to provide?
    How much is it going to cost?
    Is there a Way to extend/switch visa to be able to stay?

  • Immigration Adviser

    Hi @prompto,

    Depending on your fiancée's status in the UK would depend on the application you would need to make. If she intends to come to the UK as a visitor you would need permission to get married in the UK. This can be obtained in two ways either as a marriage visit visa or on a fiancée visa.

    In order to be eligible for a Marriage visitor visa you must not intend to marry or give notice in the UK until the visa has been endorsed. You would also need strong evidence that your fiancee would return to the US.

    To apply for a fiancée visa you must be engaged to be married or civil partners and prove your intention to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK. You must also meet the financial requirement of having a minimum combined annual income of £18,600.

    Fiancée visas are issued for 6 months and then once married your partner would have to apply for another visa as a spouse of a British Citizen which is usually granted for 2 and a half years. They would then need to extend a further 2 and a half years before you would be eligible for indefinite leave to remain.

    The fees vary depending on which application you make. Please get in touch if you would like more information.


  • We’ve got a venue booked for November in the u.k. so that’s that. What happens if we don’t meet the minimum income requirement? Both my parents are willing to sponsor her as well.

  • Immigration Adviser

    Hi @Prompto,

    There are different ways in which this can be met including Cash Savings, however, you would need savings of £62,500 which have been held for at least 6 months. Your parents would not be able to sponsor the application in regards to finance unfortunately.