how should we complete form?

  • I am a british national married to an american. We lived in ireland for 3 years and in this time, my wife obtained a eea stamp 4. We applied to the UK for a visa so that she could live and work as there were more opportunites. It so happens after getting her visa that she is working and I am not. She is earning more than the required amount and I am still setting up self employed status. How should we fill out the full application for her to have indefinate right to stay via the surrinder singh route?

  • Immigration Adviser

    Hi @worthmore2018

    Under the Surinder Singh route, your wife can apply for Permanent Residency as long as she has been resident in the UK for 5 years and you have been living together as a couple.

    She would need to evidence that throughout this 5-year period you were a qualified person ie: employed, Self employed, self sufficient, job seeking or studying.

    There is not a required amount for either of you to be earning just that you are able to evidence the above.

  • Hi @Holly

    Thank you for your reply. We were in ireland for 3 years. She currently has the right to work and live in UK with her current visa (6 months) and has an eea stamp 4. I was born in the UK and lived here for most of my life. I'm registered now as self employed. Should I put that down. My contract to begin work doesnt start till next week.

  • Immigration Adviser

    Hi @worthmore2018

    Your wife would need to apply for a residence card as her next application, you would just need to show that throughout the 6 months in the UK you were self-employed or seeking work. Your contract would be good evidence of this.

    Once your wife has been in the UK for 5 years she will be able to apply for indefinite leave (permanent residency). For this application you will also need to show that you have been a qualified person during this period.

Log in to reply