US citizen moving to UK on foreign passport?

  • Hi everyone. My girlfriend is American and I am British. We’ve been together for a while now. We actually met working as dancers on a cruise ship. We want to get back to working on land and decided we’d prefer to live in the UK. Most likely London and audition for the West End shows as we’re both performing artists. We’ve been looking at all the visa options but we’re struggling to find something that will work for us that doesn’t involve marriage.
    We found out some news recently. My American girlfriend has Italian ancestors and she will be able to get an Italian passport. Now if that’s possible would it be legal for her to enter the country and work on her Italian passport? Would she need some kind of work permit? Any advice would be much appreciated.

  • Immigration Adviser

    Hi @Chris_Lloyd101

    If your girlfriend were to obtain an Italian passport then she would be able to exercise her right to free movement, being an EEA national. She would also be able to work without the need of a work permit/sponsorship.

Log in to reply