Can I apply for citizenship?

  • Hi,

    I am originally born in NZ and arrived in the UK in 2013 with my British born partner.

    We stayed for a while then flew back to Aus and NZ to see family. We then came back Feb 2015 and I was on a "Youth mobility visa"

    I applied and was granted spouse visa in Aug 2016. Since then I have had a baby born April 2018.

    I have lived here now for a total of 4.5years, can I apply for citizenship as I dont want to have to pay another £1500 for another spouse visa for another 2.5 years!

    Please help!!!!

  • Immigration Adviser

    Hi @Rebecca17

    Thank you for getting in touch.

    You will be eligible to apply for settlement (ILR) as long as you meet all the requirements after being on the spouse visa for 5 years. Once you have ILR you can apply straight away for citizenship.

    As your first spouse visa was granted in August 2016, you will be able to apply for ILR in August 2021. You will therefore need to extend your spouse visa. You are unable to combine the time spent on the Youth Mobility visa and the spouse visa towards settlement.